Five years I’ve eaten predominantly raw food and 95% vegan. The remaining non vegan 5% is what I put in my mouth and digested of the food I prepare for my children, the love of my life and in the restaurant I worked. During the yoga teacher training in Nepal two years ago, dinners consisted of cooked instead of raw vegetables. Other then that I discovered my body and health on a raw vegan food diet. When I started it, due to a kidney cleanse cure I set myself to years ago while on holiday in Ibiza, I thought I’d last three months. However interesting but what we think, what we think we are able to and what we expect in general is not what this is about.
When people ask me why I was on a raw vegan diet, I would say: ‘out of curiosity, to see how my body reacts to no animal protein at all’. The curiosity a result of twenty years of vegetarianism which would incessantly cause people to exclaim:’but what about your protein?’
Vegetarian and vegan diets are challenging for me in a weird way. Because the number one rule if it comes to food for me, is: ‘deliciousness, taste, satisfying the senses’. So why the heck do I not throw in everything?
I like to prepare a fulfilling meal from nothing but left overs and random fridge content
I like minimialism, less is more
I like real authentic stuff as opposed to pretensions and decadence
After five challenging and fulfilling years, I change now. I’ve learned how much energy is saved when I do not have to digest dead food. I’ve proven to live without animal protein and according to people’s comments, look fantastic at the age of fifty while not eating animals, gluten or refined sugar.
Why do I change? Because I am no longer afraid to sit still, to let myself go do nothing for a while but being content, happily digesting food and nothing else: Wu Wei. Stream like liquid, no blockages, let love come.
Last night’s dahl:
150 gr Red lentils
1 white onion
Vegetable stock cube
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin seeds
Cook 20 minutes
Add sliced zucchinni, black and green olives, any green leave vegetable or cabbage,
Cook for another 5 minutes
Garnish with olive oil, pepper, salt to taste and 1/2 cubed avocado
This morning’s smoothies (2 recipes):
With handheld stick blender:
1 tbsp peanutbutter
Particles of half a grapefruit + juice
1 tbsp peanutbutter
150 ml oat milk
2 dried apricots